Saturday, May 31, 2008

Speaking the Truth in Love

I have been very busy the past couple of months, with very little time for blogging or other diversions. I have managed to read some, however, during my lunch hour and when I get snippets of time at home. The two books I am currently, but slowly, making my way through are Pierced for our Transgressions and Jonathan Aitken’s new biography of John Newton.

In my reading I came across a quote by John Newton that I wanted to share with my readers. The quote comes from his first message to his parishioners after he moved from Olney to London. In this message, in which he intended to set forth the foundation of his new ministry, Newton explained his philosophy of speaking the truth in love from Ephesians 4:15. Here is the quote regarding speaking the truth:

The Bible is the grand repository of the truths that it will be the business and the pleasure of my life to set before you. It is the complete system of divine truth to which nothing can be added and from which nothing can be taken with impunity. Every attempt to disguise or soften any branch of this truth in order to accommodate it to the prevailing taste around us either to avoid the displeasure or court the favor of our fellow mortals must be an affront to the majesty of God and an act of treachery to men. My conscience bears me witness that I mean to speak the truth among you.

This was a helpful reminder for me as I begin the day finishing up my lesson for SS tomorrow.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jim Peet said...

Interesting ... this is what I am teaching to the 4th Young Adults this next Wednesday

http://4bya.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/do-not-grieve-the-holy-spirit/

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger John Bensley Photography said...

Thank you for posting... I know it was some time ago. However, this is the very subject a brother and I were speaking of and praying about today.
Thanks brother,
john

 

Post a Comment

<< Home