Monday, October 17, 2005

All Appearance of Evil

I am participating in an exercise on SharperIron in which several of us have volunteered to exegete a key passage on Biblical separation. The goal is to come to better and more unified understanding of Scripture's teaching on the subject. The passage assigned to me was 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22. You can read my analysis HERE. For those who don't want to wade through the entire thing, I offer the following interpretive paraphrase. To capture the thought of the immediate context, I have included verses 19 and 20 as well:

19 Do not extinguish the work of the Holy Spirit 20 by ignoring or rejecting the proclamation of God’s Word, whatever form it takes. 21 Instead, evaluate every prophecy (as you should all things), and embrace it if is found to be genuinely from God. 22 Otherwise, steadfastly resist and avoid evil in whatever way it manifests itself, whether in so-called prophecy or not.

I'm sure this submission will be critiqued as part of the SharperIron exercise. Consider it a work in progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home