Tuesday, June 09, 2009

New Calvinism and Worldliness

I really don’t know too much about Peter Masters, other than he is the current pastor of the Metropolitan Tabernacle, the famous London church once pastored by Charles H. Spurgeon. Masters is a Calvinist, as was his famous predecessor. I lean that way as well, although I am not a hard-core 5 pointer. Dr. Masters is not pleased, however, with what he sees in the current Calvinist resurgence. He has written a pretty hard-hitting critique of the movement’s general lack of concern with worldliness. I cannot remember an article that resonated so much with my own soul and concerns. I highly commend it to your consideration.

The Merger of Calvinism with Worldliness

UPDATE: I just noticed that both Scott Aniol and SI have linked to this article as well. I'm glad. It deserves a wide reading.

UPDATE 2: And DMD.


HT: Comment #1 by Jonathan Hunt

5 Comments:

At 2:19 AM, Blogger Don Johnson said...

Andy, If you have Murray's biography of Lloyd-Jones, you will find some mention of a young Peter Masters in the second volume. He had some connection with Lloyd-Jones in those days.

Masters has done a great job at the Tabernacle, he is a real leader in England. He has revived the Sword and Trowel, it almost always has very good articles (published quarterly, I believe). And you get a book with it each time. It is well worth it, although I think my subscription has lapsed.

I don't think Masters entirely understands the fundamentalist/evangelical divide on our side of the pond, so he will have men in who we might find somewhat problematic. Phil Johnson has spoken for him a number of times, thus his restrained comment as posted via Greg Linscott at SI.

Anyway, I find Masters to be very good, even though I don't accept the Calvinist moniker.

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Andy Efting said...

So, Peter Masters sat under ML-J’s ministry for a while. Interesting connection. I’ll have to think about getting a subscription. How old do you think Masters is by now?

I was rather disappointed by the condescending comments towards Masters over on SI.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Jonathan Hunt said...

He is 68. My pastor from 1977 (birth) to 2002. My seminary principal from 2003-date. Most evangelicals who love to criticise him here in the UK have seen nothing like the blessing he has.

For a bit more background you might enjoy:

http://charleshaddonspurgeon.wordpress.com/2006/07/12/a-short-history-of-the-met-tab/

Anything else you want, drop me a line jdhunt (at) timeintheword.org

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Don Johnson said...

Hi Andy,

I see Jonathan filled you in on the date. I would have just been guessing.

It is surprising to see some of the responses. Some of them border on antinomianism. I'm not saying which side of the border they are on!

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Andy Efting said...

Jonathan,

Thank you for your input and the links. I enjoyed the virutal tour of the Tabernacle. One of the these days I would love to actually visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home